The Monks Kitchen
All that is left of John Pyel's College. is now underground, the most spectacular of which is the Room known as the Monk's Kitchen. Only accessible through what would have been a window cut open by the Victorians, when it was rediscovered in 1833. It contains a beautiful vaulted ceiling embossed with John Pyel's Coat of Arms . It is reported that when it was reopened the fire place still contained the ash of the last fire before the college was forcibly closed in the 1530s.
Because of difficulty of access it is open on special occasions and by special arrangement only.